How to Travel from Shanghai to Beijing
The distance between Shanghai and Beijing is about 1,100 kilometers (680 miles). Four ways of transportation are in service:
1. High speed trains from Shanghai to Beijing are the most popular and recommended way. The whole journey takes around 4.5 - 6.5 hours and CNY 553/ 558.
2. Passengers can also choose to take flights from Shanghai to Beijing with the duration of 2 - 2.5 hours, which is the fastest but the most expensive way.
3. Overnight sleeper trains, taking around 12 - 15 hours, are an economy choice for passengers with a tight budget.
4. Long-distance buses with relatively long duration are not very recommended for limit facilities and narrow space inside.
|How to Travel from Shanghai to Beijing|
1. Popular and Best Way – Shanghai - Beijing High Speed Train: 4.5 - 6.5 hours, CNY 553/ 558
Ticket Price: CNY553/ 558 for a second class seat, CNY933/ 939 for a first class seat, CNY1,748/ 1,762.5 for a business class seat.
Taking high speed trains from Shanghai to Beijing is a very popular way for passengers. As one of “China's four great new inventions”, high speed train is fast, safe, and well-equipped as airplanes. Visitors to China should not miss a ride on it. For the Shanghai to Beijing travel, it is easier and time-saving to get on board a train than the plane. Moreover, the cost of high speed train is lower.
2. Fastest Way - Shanghai - Beijing Flight: 2 - 2.5 hours, CNY 1,490 ( usually 20%-60% off)
Ticket Price: CNY 1,240 for full-fare economy class.
Usually, the flights tickets have a 30% - 60% off discount in low season from November to Next March and a 20% - 40% off discount in high season from April to October. There is no discount for air ticket in public holiday normally. Compared with other transportation ways, it is the most expensive most of the time.
To save money, passengers can buy cheap Shanghai - Beijing flights from low cost airlines, like Spring Airlines. However, please note that these low cost airlines usually have small luggage allowance and high charges for excess luggage.
3. Economy Way - Shanghai - Beijing Overnight Sleeper Train: 12-15 hours, CNY 325.5 - 414.5
From Shanghai/ Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station: T110: 17:57/ 10:08+; Z282: 19:30/ 10:22+; D702: 19:09/ 07:12+; D708: 19:17/ 07:11+; D706: 21:18/ 09:24+; D710: 21:24/ 09:22+
T/ Z Trains: CNY 919.5 for a Deluxe Soft Sleeper, CNY 494.5/ 497.5 for a soft sleeper, CNY 325.5 for a hard sleeper
D Trains: CNY 599 - 603 for a First Class Sleeper, CNY 412.5 - 414.5 for a Second Class Sleeper
Note: “+” means the second day.
Saving one-night hotel cost, it is an economy choice for budget passengers to take overnight trains travelling from Shanghai to Beijing. A sleeper is greatly recommended, otherwise the long journey will make you dog-tired. By the way, passengers had better purchase sleeper tickets in advance as the tickets are always in a great demand.
4. Shanghai - Beijing Long-distance Bus: Around 14 hours, CNY 354
From Shanghai Long-distance Bus Station: 16:00
Price: CNY 354
Passengers are not very recommended to take long-dstance buses from Shanghai to Beijing because of the limit facilities and space inside. Also, the overall travel time is long.
How to Travel from Beijing to Shanghai
Beijing - Shanghai Train VS. Plane
Cheapest Way to Travel between Beijing and Shanghai
How to Get from Beijing South Railway Station to Wangfujing
How to Get from Beijing South Railway Station to Capital Airport
How to Get from Beijing South Railway Station to Forbidden City & Tiananmen Square