Shanghai to Beijing Train
Besides, around 2 pair of overnight high speed D trains are available for passegners to save the day time; their travel time is about 12 hours and the lowest cost for a second class sleeper is CNY370 - 372. And 3 pairs of overnight normal speed train run between with a travel time of 15 - 22.5 hours. A hard sleeper costs CNY 340 - 365.
Shanghai to Beijing High Speed Train Schedule
|Train No.||Departure - Arrival||Travel Time|
|G6||08:00 - 12:24||4h24m|
|G10||10:00 - 14:26||4h26m|
|G12||11:00 - 15:31||4h31m|
|G14||11:53 - 16:38||4h45m|
Shanghai to Beijing Bullet Train Price
|Business Class Seat||First Class Seat||Second Class Seat|
|CNY 1,748 - 2,331|
USD 275 - 367
|CNY 837 - 1,041.5|
USD 132 - 164
|CNY 498 - 631|
USD 78 - 99
Shanghai to Beijing Overnight Train Schedule
|Train No.||Departure - Arrival||Travel Time|
|1462||12:15 - 10:50+||22h35m|
|T110||17:57 - 10:08+||16h11m|
|Z282||19:30 - 10:22+||14h52m|
|D706||21:18 - 09:24+||12h6m|
|D710||21:23 - 09:22+||11h59m|
Shanghai to Beijing Overnight Train Fare
|Nos.||Soft Sleeper||Hard Sleeper|
|1461/1462||CNY 547 / USD 80||CNY 340 / USD 50||Z281/Z282||CNY 572 / USD 84||CNY 365 / USD 54||T109/T110||CNY 572 / USD 84||CNY 365 / USD 54|
|First Class Sleeper||CNY469 - 472|
|Second Class Sleeper||CNY370 - 372|
|Second Class Seat||CNY247 - 248|
FAQs on How to Travel from Shanghai to Beijing
It is no doubt the hard seats on old trains. However, it is quite exhausting to sit straight for a long journey. So the economy sleeper, especially those on overnight trains are more popular cheap travel way, including 1461, T110, Z282, , D706 and D710. A hard sleeper of Z/T/1461 trains costs CNY340-365 and a second class sleeper of D trains costs CNY370-372.
2. What is the fastest way to get from Shanghai to Beijing?
Flight is the fastest way from Shanghai to Beijing, taking around 2.5 hours, followed by high speed train taking 4.5 - 6.5 hours. However, check-in procedure in Shanghai aiport is more time-consuming than at the railway station. Also, upon arrival in Beijing, it takes more time to reach your hotel from Beijing airport than from Beijing South Railway Station. Therefore, there is no big difference in total door-to-door travel time.
See more Beijing - Shanghai Train vs. Plane
3. Is there a ditrect train between Shanghai and Beijing?
Over 30 pairs of direct Shanghai to Beijing bullet trains with the duration of 4.5 - 6.5 hours. A ride on a second class seat costs CNY553-558. Plus, 5 pairs of overnight sleeper trains run between Beijing and Shanghai with the travel time of about 12 - 22.5 hours.
4. How far is it from Shanghai to Beijing?
The flight distance from Shanghai to Beijing is 1,084 kilometers (674 miles). The distance by high speed train is 1,318 kilometers (819 miles) and the expressway distance is 1,262 kilometers (784 miles).
Passengers can take high speed train, overnight train, flight, or long-distance bus from Shanghai to Beijing.
High speed train is the most recommended for short duration, dense schedule, modern facilities and comfortable environment; and it is convenient to get to Honqgiao Railway Station in Shanghai and leave Beijing South Railway Station upon arrival. Overnight train is good choice of budget travelers; remember to book a sleeper for the long ride. Flight can be fastest way but Beijing Capital Airport is in suburb and it takes time to reach downtown. Long-distance bus is the least recommended way because of quite long duration and uncomfortable environment.
6. Can I visit the Great Wall of China from Shanghai?
Yes. Passengers should take a flight, or train from Shanghai to Beijing firstly. Then, train or bus is available for passengers to reach the famous Great Wall sections like Badaling and Mutianyu.
See more How to Get to the Great Wall from Shanghai
Shanghai Train Schedule
Beijing - Shanghai High Speed Train
Beijing - Shanghai Overnight Sleeper Train
How to Get from Beijing South Railway Station to Wangfujing
How to Get from Beijing South Railway Station to Capital Airport
How to Get from Beijing South Railway Station to Forbidden City & Tiananmen Square
Major Rail Lines from Shanghai to:
- Customer Reviews
- Questions & Answers
- 4.9112 ReviewsWrite a reviewCzechPosted on Mar. 12, 2023Thank you for all your kind efforts and great help. You have made my trip in China very easy. I appreciate it very much.USAPosted on Nov. 23, 2021When we search for ticket bookings, we are attracted by your website. There are a number of items to admire, like different tour trips, various entrance tickets and detailed location. All in all, thanks for your help.ItalyPosted on Oct. 18, 2021I just feel so grateful about your help through my train journey. You really helped me a lot about my orders. And I have had a wonderful time in this September.FrancePosted on Jul. 05, 2021I booked some of my tickets ahead of time, and some along my travel. Ms. Ivy made it easy for me. Not only did she flawlessly deliver, but her calming emails and phone calls, and patience with my silly questions made it an awesome experience.AustraliaPosted on Jun. 07, 2021I received tickets envelop at the hotel reception. We enjoyed our train tickets booking experience. Many thanks for tickets delivery. Although someone told me the paper ticket is not required, we still want it.USAPosted on May. 10, 2021Train tickets booking is very important for our trip. Thank you for issuing and delivering the tickets to my address in Guangzhou. Everything is well organized. You really helped us a lot to smooth our journey.USAPosted on Apr. 06, 2021My family and I just returned from Shanghai and used TravelChinaGuide to book our high-speed train tickets. We travelled from Wuhan to Shanghai, and then take a side trip to Suzhou and Hangzhou. The process of taking train was easy, no paper tickets needed and we only showed our passports to enter the station and board on the train.New ZealandPosted on Mar. 09, 2021We found booking the trains and getting to and around the train stations very difficult in China, but Miss Christina made it for us. We could not find our tickets at my hotel, then I called Christina in the early evening, she took an immediate action and we got tickets after one or two minutes. She is amazing and offers very good service.PolandPosted on Jan. 12, 2021TravelChinaGuide did a great job of securing a train ticket for me from Beijing to Moscow. I emailed them my passport copy and they issued a ticket a week in advance and had it delivered to my apartment in Beijing. It was a smooth operation and I had no travel problem at all. Highly recommended.FinlandPosted on Dec. 17, 2020Ivy helped us a lot during our trips and thanks for her amazing service. I was a little nervous traveling alone by train. But she kept me up to date with the progress of the tickets booking. Thank you for your professional service and I will definitely use gain and recommend to others.
- Page 1 of 12
- Questions & Answers on Shanghai to Beijing TrainAsked by Omer from UGANDA | Sep. 04, 2019 00:04ReplyExcept seat layout, is there other difference for service between first and second class?Answers (1)Answered by Dyer from INDIA | Sep. 04, 2019 19:2600ReplyAccording to my reading, there is no big difference for the service. It seems that some snacks may offered to first class passengers. Except this one, no other obvious benefits. However, first class seats and carriages are indeed much wider.Asked by Isla from MALAYSIA | Oct. 17, 2018 00:06ReplyWhat does "Shanghai" mean? Is that Hongqiao Station or not?I want to book G6 on your website, but in the list, it says "Shanghai". Which station should I go to?Answers (1)Answered by Aidan from PERU | Oct. 17, 2018 22:5200ReplyIt is not Hongqiao Station, but the one in city center area. The address is No. 303 Moling Road. It is also on metro line 1, 3 and 4.More Questions & AnswersAsk a Question