How to Travel From Shanghai to Great Wall of China
The Great Wall of China extends 13,170 miles (21,196 kilometers) in northern China, and includes many sections in different provinces. Among all these, Badaling and Mutianyu in Beijing are your priority. So, you need to go from Shanghai to Beijing first. There are three modes of transport for you to choose from.
By Flight: Take a flight to Beijing Capital Airport from Shanghai Pudong Airport (PVG) or Hongqiao Airport (SHA). There are about 80 flights per day starting early morning with a frequency of about 30 minutes. The trip takes 2 to 2.5 hours and ticket price for economy class varies between CNY600 and CNY 1,300 based on departure time and airlines.
|Second Class Seats of Bullet Train|
By High Speed Train: Take a bullet train to Beijing South Railway Station from Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station. There are about 40 departures each day, and the train ride takes 4.5 to 6 hours. The second class seat costs CNY 553, and the first class seat costs CNY 933. This is the top choice of most travelers due to its flight-like interior environment, high speed and comparatively low cost.
Hongqiao Railway Station is a 10-minute walk from Hongqiao Airport, and a one-hour ride from Pudong Airport by shuttle bus line 1, or a 1.5 hour ride from Pudong Airport by subway line 2.
By Overnight Sleeper Train: There are two types of them: two or three bullet trains taking about 12 hours and one normal train taking 15.5 hours. They arrive at Beijing South Railway Station and Beijing Railway Station respectively from Shanghai Railway Station. The hard sleeper of normal trains costs CNY325.5, and the soft sleeper of bullet trains costs CNY 696. Both the ticket prices here are for lower berth.
By the way, you can reach Shanghai Railway Station from Hongqiao Airport by bus line 941; or take subway line 10 to South Shaanxi Road, and change to subway line 1 to get there. You can reach the railway station from Pudong Airport by shuttle bus line 5; or take subway line 2 to People's Square Station, and transfer to subway line 1 to it.
How to make a 1-Day Tour from Shanghai to Great Wall:
|Deshengmen Bus Stop|
Upon arrival in Beijing, head for Deshengmen or Huangtudian Railway Station where bus or train is available for Badaling; or Dongzhimen where bus is available for Mutianyu.
From Capital Airport
To Deshengmen: Take Airport Express to Dongzhimen, and change to subway line 2 to Jishuitan Station, Exit B2. Walk east for about 600 yards to Deshengmen Station.
To Huangtudian Railway Station: Take Airport Express to Dongzhimen, and change to subway line 13 to Huoying Station, Exit G4. Then, walk to Huangtudian Railway Station.
To Dongzhimen Station: Take Airport Express Line to Dongzhimen Station.
From Beijing South Railway Station
To Deshengmen Station: Take subway line 4 to Xuanwumen, and change to subway line 2 to Jishuitan Station, Exit B2. Walk to Deshengmen Station.
To Huangtudian Railway Station: ride subway line 4 to Xizhimen Station, and change to subway line 13 to Huoying Station, Exit G4. Walk east to Huangtudian Railway Station.
To Dongzhimen Station: Take subway line 4 to Xuanwumen, and change to subway line 2 to Dongzhimen Station.
From Beijing Railway Station
To Deshengmen Station: Take subway line 2 to Jishuitan Station, Exit B2, and walk to Deshengmen Station.
To Huangtudian Railway Station: ride subway line 2 to Guloudajie Station, and switch to subway line 8 to Huoying Station, Exit G4. Then, walk to Huangtudian Railway Station.
To Dongzhimen Station: Take subway line 2 to Dongzhimen Station.
1. Bus 877 and S2 train will take you directly to Badaling.
2. Bus 877 is only available before 12:30. If you want to go in the afternoon, you may take bus line 919; but be ready for the frequent stops on the way.
3. The tickets of S2 train cannot be booked online in advance. So, there may be many people waiting in line to get a ticket. Luckily, you can swipe Beijing Transportation Smart Card to get onboard, which would save a lot of time.
4. Dongzhimen tourist bus runs directly to Mutianyu, but usually one departure every day; if you miss it, you can take bus 916 express to get off at Huairou North Avenue, and transfer to bus line h23, h24, h35, or h36 to Mutianyu. Or, charter a van to Mutianyu from Huairou North Avenue for CNY 50-60.
5. Tourist can also take direct Mubus from Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center to Mutianyu, which departs at 07:40 and 12:00. The tickets should be booked in advance to guarantee a seat.