Refund, Change & Lost a China Train Ticket
Passengers may cancel China train tickets before departure. Cancellation fee is charged.
There are no refunds after the train leaves. Minor exceptions can be allowed under the approval of the stationmaster within 2 hours after the scheduled departure time.
|Ticket Change and Refund Window|
1. It is less than 30 minutes before departure, and you need to collect the paper ticket before refunding it, just like you need to collect the paper ticket for boarding.
2. You have picked up the paper one after booking on the official website.
3. Tickets of some popular trains, including those to/from Tibet, can only be refunded at railway stations with the original ID certificates used for booking on your own. The specific train numbers are not published but are displayed during booking.
China train ticket cancellation fee
|Cancellation time before departure||Cancellation fee by China Railway Corporation|
|More than 15 days||None|
|15 days - 48 hours||5% of the original fare par value (at least CNY2)|
|48 hours - 24 hours||10% of the original fare par value|
|Within 24 hours||20% of the original fare par value|
1. If the changed departure date is within Spring Festival Travel Rush, 20% of the original fare will be charged even if it is over 24 hours before departure.
2. If the departure time is changed from 15 days to 48 hours ahead to over 15 days ahead and then ask for a refund, 5% of the original fare will be charged as cancellation fee even if it is over 15 days before departure.
3. If a ticket has been changed after the train leaves, it cannot be refunded.
4. If you book through an agency, you'd better confirm the regulations of the specific agency before booking. Some agencies do not accept cancellation and some agencies may ask extra cancellation fee.
When seeking a refund at a railway station on your own, you should bring the ticket and the original of your ID certificate used in buying it.
If you ask someone else to get the refund on your behalf at the railway station, the ticket and the original of your ID certificate should be shown. If the person doesn’t have your original ID certificate, the copy of your ID certificate, the original of that person’s ID certificate and the ticket should be shown together.
No documents are required when refunding an e-ticket on the official website.
A paper ticket needs to be changed at the designated counters at railway stations. An e-ticket booked through 12306.cn, can be changed online at least 30 minutes prior to departure; if it is less than 30 minutes prior, it needs to be changed at the railway stations. Online bookings of some popular trains also need to be changed at railway stations.
No document is required for change, unless you change an online booking at railway stations. In that case, the passenger’s original ID certificate used for booking, or the copy of the passenger’s ID certificate plus your original ID certificate should be shown together. The staff will also ask for booking number. A paper ticket will be given after the change.
What items on a China train ticket can be changed?
|Allowed Change Items||Before Departure||After Departure|
|＞48 hours||≤48 hours|
1. The seat or sleeper can also be changed onboard if there is one available. The extra service fee of CNY 5 will be charged by the railway staff.
2. The group and joint ticket cannot be changed to others with different arrival cities, even if it is over 48 hours prior.
China train ticket change fee
No change fee will be charged in most cases. The price difference between the original and changed tickets will be returned or charged accordingly.
The change fee will be charged only when the changed ticket price is lower than the original one. The fee for this case is:
|Changing time before departure||Change fee by China Railway Corporation|
|15 days - 48 hours||5% of the price difference (at least CNY2)|
|48 hours - 24 hours||10% of the price difference|
|Within 24 hours||20% of the price difference|
If you book through an agency, there is usually a changing service fee.
How to pay for/ return the price difference
If the original ticket is paid by cash at a railway station, the price difference will be charged or returned by cash, too.
If the original one is bought from an agency, then you’d better ask the agency to handle the change for you, as the price difference will probably be returned to or charged through their bankcard, either it is an e-ticket or a paper one.
Lost China rail tickets do not mean lost seats. Passengers who lost their tickets can reclaim the seat/sleeper at the railway station or onboard. The service fee by China Railway Corporation is CNY 2.
Passengers should handle the procedure before the end of the ticket issuing, which varies from 5 to 15 minutes before departure at different stations. The following material and information are needed - the valid ID certificate used in buying the original ticket, the departure date, and the name of the booking office issuing the original ticket.
The detailed steps are:
1. Buy a replacement;
2. Get onboard with the replacement;
3. Inform the railway attendant about the lost and they will provide you a voucher;
4. Upon arrival within 24 hours, get the full refund of the replacement with the voucher and the ID certificate at the railway station.
Onboard or before check-out
Passengers can directly reclaim the seat/sleeper onboard or at the arrival station. Also, the valid ID certificate and information of the original ticket are needed.