How to Plan a Trip to Beijing Step by Step
Hereunder are 6 steps helping you plan a trip to Beijing, especially useful for the first-time travelers. Following this advice, you can have a smoother trip and learn more about the ancient city.
Step 1: Confirm Your Travel Date
See More about: Beijing Weather and Best Time to Visit.
How long to stay in Beijing:
3 to 5 days are necessary to have a worthwhile tour for most people.
Times to avoid:
Avoid the public holidays and various festivals, especially the Golden Week of National Day holiday from October 1st to 7th. See More about Public Holidays in China.
Step 2: Buy International Flight Ticket Early
China Flights: Schedule & Booking
Step 3: Hotel Booking
Where to Stay:
Most of the tourists prefer to live in the city center, near the Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and Wangfujing Street. Some old Hutong areas like Houhai, Drum Tower, Qianmen Street, and Dashilar are also popular places to stay. See More about Where to Stay in Beijing.
Step 4: Apply for a China Visa
For the Steps 2, 3 and 4 above, if you book a guided tour, some steps can be arranged by your travel agency according to the service included in your tour.
Recommended Beijing Guided Tours with Low Prices:
4 Days Best Beijing Tour from $539
Beijing One Day Tours from $93
Beijing Layover Tours
for 1 to 6 Days, 144 Hours
Step 5: Make a Day-by-Day Beijing Tour Plan
Best Things to Do in Beijing:
Step 6: Pack Your Bags
2. Money: cash of Chinese RMB, credit card, mobile payment (Alipay, Wechat Pay)
3. Electronics: smart phone, earphone, portable Wi-Fi device or local SIM card, laptop or tablet, camera, charger, power bank, adaptor plug…
4. Clothes and accessories: check the weather forecast a week before to prepare proper clothing.
5. Toiletries and makeup bag.
6. Daily life articles: toilet paper, pocket tissue, personal sanitary articles, razor or shaver, umbrella, raincoat…
7. Health care: common medicine, band-aid…
See More about China Travel Checklist.
When the above 6 steps of your Beijing tour plan are complete, you can set your mind at rest and just wait for the departure.
More Tips for a Better Trip from Expert Planners:
1. Download useful apps: Wachat for instant message and pay; Alipay; Didi or Uber for taxis; Mobike or Ofo for sharing bicycles…
2. Learn basic Chinese expressions: hello – 你好；thank you – 谢谢；good bye – 再见；ask price – 多少钱；eat, food – 吃饭；drink – 喝水；toilet – 厕所
3. Bring extra photos and copies of important documents for emergency use.
4. Book flight or high speed train tickets as early as possible if you have tour plans from Beijing to other cities.