Shanghai Old Street
|Pictures of Shanghai Old Street|
The architecture and the layout of shops in Shanghai Old Street show its development that began during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) until the period when European influence made an impact on the city. The western part of this old street begins at South Henan Road and continues to Guanyi Street. The buildings here reflect the style of the Ming and Qing (1644-1911) dynasties and the architecture is elegant in its classic simplicity. Red poles, pink walls and black roofs with upswept eaves are in harmony with the buildings in Yu Garden. The eastern end of Shanghai Old Street, with a length of 500 meters (about 1,640 feet) ends at Renmin Road and after reconstruction and decoration retains the residential characteristics of later Qing Dynasty. The swing doors reach to the ground, the lattice windows and the graceful roofs with upswept eaves are fascinating as they are precisely how foreigners imagine China to be. Although there are several European buildings, they don't contradict the styles of old Shanghai. On the contrary, they are a vital part of the diverse culture here.
By the way, you can visit Yu Garden which is a famous classical garden next to Shanghai Old Street. Here you will find the Temple of the City God, a Taoist temple and Chen Xiang Pavilion, a Buddhist temple are also in Yu Garden Tourism Zone. You can walk to Xiao Tao Yuan Mosque, in which many kinds of Islamic food are provided here on Fridays, the Muslim holy day.
How to get to Shanghai Old Street
1. Take Metro Line 8 and get off at Laoximen Station. Leave from exit 6 or 7 and walk east for about 10 minutes.
2. Take Metro Line 10 and get off at Yu Station. Leave from exit 3 and walk south for about five minutes.
1. Take City Sightseeing Bus to get there.
2. Take bus 11, 64, 304, 736, 920 or 930 and get off at Xiaodongmen Station.
Shanghai Bus / Metro Search
|Opening Hours||All day|
15 Free Things to Do in Shanghai
6 Shanghai Tourists Places in February
1. Home Inn, at no. 699, East Fuxing Road (near South Henan Road), which is around 600yd away.
2. Furao Business Hotel, at no. 99, Zhonghua Road (within 500yd in the souteast of Yuyuan Garden), around 350yd away.
3. Ibis Hotel, at no. 85, Zhoujin Road (near Middle Fangbin Road), within 550yd away.
You may try to find!