Jiaxing Travel Guide
Chinese Name: 嘉兴 (jiā xīng)
Area: 3,915 square kilometers (1,512 square miles)
Location: in the northeast of Zhejiang, east China
Administrative Division: 2 districts (Nanhu, Xiuzhou); 2 counties (Jiashan, Haiyan); 3 county-level cities (Pinghu, Haining, Tongxiang)
Area Code: 0573
Zip Code: 314000/314001
GDP (2019): CNY 537.032 billion (USD 77.842 billion)
A Revolutionary Memorial Place Famed for Wuzhen & Xitang Water Towns
Situated in northeastern Zhejiang Province, central part of the Yangtze Delta, Jiaxing holds an advantaged geographic location, adjacent to the Taihu Lake to the north. It lies across the Hangzhou Bay from Shaoxing and Ningbo, and connects to Huzhou in the west. Located midway between Suzhou and Hangzhou, it is no more than 100 kilometers (62 miles) from Shanghai, Suzhou and Hangzhou.
With more than 2,000 years of cultural history, Jiaxing has been a prosperous and busy place since ancient times. The Wuzhen Water Town and Xitang Water Town, highlights of Jiaxing, are still bustling and retain the original styles and features. The waterways, ancient residences and bridges, winding stone roads and time-honored shops, not to mention many historic attractions, make them the great antidote from the rush and noisy city life. Jiaxing is also the birthplace of the Communist Party of China as the first National Congress of the Communist Party of China closed successfully in a boat on Nanhu Lake in Jiaxing.
Attractions - Things to Do
Water towns are the most distinctive landscape of Jiaxing.Lakes:
South Lake: The Lake gained its name for its location in the south of the city. In Tang Dynasty (618-907), it has become a well-known attraction for its enchanting natural landscape. The mid-lake islet was formed by the deposition of earth left after the completion of a fosse in Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
Nanbei Lake: As a matter of fact, it is a reservoir built relying on the seaside lagoons, being divided into north and south parts with many sights in it, including pavilions and hills.
Wuzhen: 17 kilometers (11 miles) north of Tongxiang City, the town of Wuzhen is crowned as one of the six ancient towns south of the Yangtze River with a history of more than one thousand years. It displays its profound historical and cultural accumulations in the four crossed old streets, stone bridges above the mild waters and a multitude of Ming and Qing buildings on the sides of the time-honored streets.
Xitang: This elegant historic town boasts of its 250 thousand square kilometers (62 acres) complex of Ming and Qing architecture that is well preserved. It is built along river, and has 27 stone bridges, 122 old lanes and many corridors that constitute the primary characteristic of the ancient town.Other Scenic Spots: Haining Leather Town, Yanguan Seawall, East Lake Scenic Area
How to Get to Jiaxing
1. Jiaxing has the north and west bus station undertaking the main passenger transport to Shanghai, Hangzhou, Suzhou and many other cities. Noted is that the city bears a good location. It is 100 and 90 kilometers (62 and 56 miles) from Shanghai and Hangzhou respectively. The exit of Shanghai-Hangzhou Expressway out of the city is only 6 kilometers (4 miles) from the city proper.
2. Jiaxing is one hour's drive from the Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport, one and a half hours' drive from Shanghai Pudong International Airport and one hour plus ten minutes' drive from the Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport. All these facilities greatly simplify the transport in and out of the city by air.
3. Visitors can take direct buses to Wuzhen from Jiaxing or transfer in Tongxiang City. Furthermore, there are buses running straightforwards from Shanghai and Hangzhou to Wuzhen. For example, the Hutai Road Long-Distance Bus Station offers buses to Wuzhen for about two hours' drive. In the Hanzhou South Bus Station, buses to Wuzhen are easily to get, too. They will make stops in Tongxiang and then arrive at Wuzhen within one hour.
4. Trains are also operated for tourists to reach Jiaxing.
See more Jiaxing Railway Station, South Railway Station, Train Schedule,
Major Rail Lines from Jiaxing to:
5. Jiaxing Airport is predicted to serve the public in 2021. It is about 10 kilometers (about 6.2 miles) from downtown Jiaxing. Currently, you can transfer at Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport, Shanghai Pudong International Airport or Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport at first, then travel to Jiaxing by airport intercity shuttle bus or train.
Belonging to the subtropical monsoon climate, the area is abundant in rainfall and sunshine with wet spring, torrid summer, dry autumn and cold winter. It has an annual average temperature of nearly 16 C (61F), and rainy muggy days in summer are much fewer than dry chilly days in winter. Spring and autumn are the best time to come here for the tourist and folk festivals.
Jiaxing Travel Tips
History: Jiaxing was a place of fish and rice. More than 7,000 years ago, there were inhabitants living on fishery and animal husbandry. It made a great progress in economy during the Sui Dynasty (581-618) due to the construction of the Jiang Nan He, Hangzhou to Zhenjiang section of the Grand Canal. The canal helped the region to be a bread basket in southeast of China, and a place wealthy in cotton fabric and silk.
Physical Features: The terrain of the area is flat and low, generally descending from the south to the north. Water-filled depressions are mainly distributed in the area nearby the Taihu Lake. Within the city, plain areas crisscrossed by a net work of rivers and trenches.
Local Highlights: Jiaxing South Yangtze River Culture Festival (in South Lake during October to November)
China International Qiantang Tidal Bore Festival (in Haining City in the sixth day of the eighth lunar month)
Nanbei Lake Tour Festival (in Haiyan County during April to May)
Special Local Products: water chestnut of South Lake, blue calico (Blue printed colored or flower cloth) of Tongxiang City, silk floss of Wuzhen
To JX, take a direct bus from Long-distance Bus Station of Pudong Airport in the east of the B1 Floor, Parking Lot P1, T1. The buses are scheduled at 10:20, 11:50, 13:40, 15:10, 16:30, 18:00, and 19:30. The trip takes about 2 hours.
To Ningbo, take shuttle bus line 7 to the terminus: South Railway Station for CNY 20. Upon arrival, take a bus to Ningbo from the nearby South Bus Station. The buses are available from 6:30 to 20:05, and the fare is CNY 103.
May I know whether there is any buses to take near the Shanghai Railway station to Pinghu Nine Dragon Business hotel?
How long will be the journey?
What is the estimated cost of one way trip in RMB?
Can I take a train from Shanghai Railway station to Pinghu?
If I were to take a train instead of a bus what is the estimated cost of one way trip to Pinghu?
Hear from you soon.
Thanks a lot!
There is no direct train to Pinghu from Shanghai Railway Station. You may take metro 3 or 4 to Zhongshan Park, and change to metro line 2 to Hongqiao Railway Station. Then, take a bullet train to Jiashan South (about 25 minutes). You need to pay CNY 29.5 for a second class; CNY 48.5 for a first class; CNY 91.5 for a business class. Upon arrival, take a taxi to the hotel for about CNY 55.
May I know whether there is any direct transport from Shanghai Pudong airport to the Pinghu Nine Dragon Business Hotel?
How long does the transport take for the journey?
What is the cost of transport in RMB per way?
Hear from you guys!