How to Travel From Beijing to Mutianyu Great Wall
How Far is Mutianyu Great Wall from Beijing?
Distance from Downtown: 80 kilometers (50 miles)
Single Journey Time: 1.5 - 2.5 hours
Mutianyu Opening Hours:
Mar. 16 to Nov. 15: Monday - Friday: 07:00 - 18:00; Weekends: 07:30 - 18:30
Nov. 16 to March. 15: 08:00 - 17:00
A guided day tour is sure a hassle-free way to travel from Beijing to Mutianyu Great Wall. For independent travelers, there is also a direct tourist bus running from Dongzhimen Wai to Mutianyu at 08:30. If you miss it, walk to the nearby Dongzhimen Transport Hub to take bus 916 Express to Huairou North Avenue first, and then change to a local bus h23, h24, h35 or h36 or a minivan to the Great Wall. In addition, there is a tourist bus from Qianmen via Shaoyaoju Subway Station every day. If you want to take a taxi, prepare around CNY600 for a single ride and make plans for the return trip, as it is difficult to hire a cab from the Great Wall back to downtown.
|Mutianyu Great Wall Location Map|
Best Way: Join Our Guided Day Tour
The easiest and most cost-effective way is to choose our fully guided day tour, in mini group of 9 people at most, with our expert service escorting you to the Mutianyu Great Wall, Forbidden City, Tian'anmen Square, Bird's Nest, and Nanluoguxiang Hutong.
Tourist Bus Line Dongzhimen – Mutianyu: 1.5 - 2 hours
Starting Point: Dongzhimen Wai Bus Station
Returning Point: Parking Lot P1 of Mutianyu
Schedule from Dongzhimen Wai: 08:30
Schedule from Mutianyu: 16:00
Single Journey Time: 1.5 - 2 hours
Ticket Fare: CNY30; transportation card is not applicable; tickets are sold on board the bus
How to Get to Dongzhimen Wai Bus Station
2. Or, take bus line 359, 915/ 915 Express, 935/ 935 Express, 942 or 966 to get there.
It is the most convenient way to get to the Wall. If you unfortunately miss the direct tourist bus line, you can walk to nearby Dongzhimen Transport Hub to take regular bus line 916 Express mentioned below.
Cheapest: Bus Line 916 Express + h23, h24, h35 or h36: 2 - 2.5 hours
1. Bus Line 916 Express: 13 stops
Return Point: Huairou North Avenue (Huairou Beidajie)
Schedule from Dongzhimen: 06:00 - 21:00
Schedule from Huairou North Avenue: 04:50 - 18:50
Single Journey Time: Around 1.5 hours
Fare: CNY12; CNY6 paid by Beijing Transportation Card
2. Bus line h23, h24, h35 or h36
|Bus Lines||From Huairou North Avenue||From Mutianyu|
|h23||06:00 - 19:00||04:50 - 18:50|
|h24||06:00 - 19:00||05:50 - 19:00|
|h35||06:10 (only weekdays), 08:40, 15:45||7:10 (only weekdays), 9:40, 16:50|
|h36||06:20, 11:30, 17:40||07:05, 12:15, 18:30|
Where can I take bus 916 Express to Mutianyu Great Wall? - Dongzhimen Public Transport Hub
2. Take bus line 106, 107, 132, 3, 401, 404, 416, 418, 852, 918, or 980 to Dongzhimen Public Transport Hub Stop.
1. There is also bus 916 to the Wall; However, comparatively, bus 916 Express is more recommened as it has less stops and takes less time.
2. It is recommended to take early morning bus from Dongzhimen and take bus departing before 15:00 back to downtown to avoid the crowds.
3. The Mutianyu ticket office is about 3 kilometers (1.8 miles) from the entrance and one can take shuttle bus to travel between. The ticket fare is CNY10 for a single trip and CNY15 for a round trip.
4. Bus 867 to the Wall does not run anymore.
Tourist Bus Line Qianmen - Mutianyu: 2 - 2.5 hours
Starting Point: No.4 Ticket Window, Qianmen Tourism Distribution Center
Returning Point: Parking Lot P1 of Mutianyu
Schedule: 08:30 from Qianmen; 09:00 from Shaoyaoju; 16:00 from Mutianyu for return trip
Singel Journey Time: 2 - 2.5 hours
Ticket Fare: CNY30; transportation card is not applicable; buy tickets just before boarding the bus
How to Get to Qianmen Tourism Distribution Center
2. Take bus express line 1 to Qianmen Stop, and walk around 400 meters (440 yards) to the south.
How to Get to Shaoyaoju
2. Take bus line 547 or 942 to Shaoyaoju Bus Stop.
Taxis to Mutianyu is not recommended.
2. It is extremely difficult to take the taxis to go back downtown. So there are many irregular cars near the Wall and be vigilant, so as not to be blackmailed or left halfway.
3. Renting a private car with driver in advance is advised for a group of 3 - 4 people. The cars can hold up to 4 passengers and CNY 700 - 1,000 is needed for a round trip.
How to Travel from Beijing Airport to Mutianyu Great Wall
How to Get to Mutianyu from Beijing West Railway Station
How to Travel from Beijing South Railway Station to Mutianyu
How to Get to Mutianyu from Beijing Railway Station
Visiting Mutianyu Great Wall: Toboggan, Cable Car, or Chairlift?
6 Things to Do on Mutianyu Great Wall of China
How to Get to the Great Wall from Shanghai
How to Get to the Great Wall from Hong Kong
How to Get to the Great Wall of China from Beijing
How to Get to the Great Wall of China from Beijing Airport
i want to go to the Wall at the end of these week. Does the Mubus take you right to the wall? Which day is probably the best to do this. I will arrive at wednesday (21.08) and will be for 4 days in Beijing.
2. Generally speaking, you are suggested to spend one day to tour around this scenic area.