Chongming Island, the third largest island in China, is the backyard of Shanghai. Located in the east estuary of the Yangtze River, the island has a levee shaded under trees, looking like a giant green dragon lying on the river. The large-scale forests, lakes, and wetlands will immerse you into the natural beauty of this place. You can find many things to do: exploring a primitive forest in Dongping National Forest Park, observing birds at Pearl Lake, and enjoying the endless reed marshes in the wetland parks. Wandering on the mudflats, you will encounter numerous crabs walking sideways. Crabholes are dotted densely on the mudflat. Therefore, Chongming Island is also called Crab Island. In addition to contact with nature, there are also a lot of historical attractions and human landscapes exposing you to the cultural atmosphere, such as Chongming Academy, Danyuan Garden, Shou'an Temple, and Hanshan Temple.
|Admission Fee||CNY 70|
|For children between 1.3 and 1.4 meters (4.3 and 4.6 feet): CNY 35|
|Free for children less than 1.3 meters (4.3 feet).|
|Opening Hours||Monday - Friday||8:30 – 16:00|
|Weekends and Holidays||8:30 – 17:00|
Dongtan Wetland Park
|Admission Fee||CNY 50 from Monday to Friday; CNY 80 at weekends and on public holidays|
|Free for children under 1.3 meters (4.3 feet)|
|Opening Hours||9:00 – 17:00|
Xisha Wetland Park
|Opening Hours||8:30 - 16:00, closed when spring tide comes.|
|Admission Fee||Adult Ticket: CNY 45|
|Half price for children between 1.3 and 1.4 meters (4.3 and 4.6 feet).|
|Free for children under 1.3 meters (4.3 feet).|
|Opening Hours||8:30 – 16:00|
|Admission Fee||CNY 10 for adults and children over 1.3 meters (4.3 feet) in height.|
|Free for children under 4.3 feet.|
|Opening Hours||June 15 to September 14||8:30 – 11:00, 14:00 – 17:00|
|September 15 to Next June 14||8:30 – 16:30 (Closed on Monday)|
|Admission Fee||CNY 10|
|Opening Hours||8:30 – 16:30|
|Locations||Ticket Price||Opening Hours||Preferential Policy|
|Yingdong Ecologic Village||CNY 20||7:30 – 16:30||Free for children under 1.2 meters (3.9 feet).|
|Qianwei Ecologic Village||CNY 60||8:30 – 16:30||Free for children under 1.3 meters (4.3 feet).|
|Ruihua Orchard||CNY 50|
|Jiangnan Sanmin Cultural Village||CNY 60||8:00 – 16:30||1. CNY 30 for children between 1.3 and 1.5 meters (4.3 and 4.9 feet); |
2. Free for children under 1.3 meters (4.3 feet).
|Gaojiazhuang Ecologic Village||CNY 60||8:00 – 17:00||Free for children under 1 meter (3.3 feet).|
Chongming Alcohol: Sticky rice is the main ingredient, adding herbs and water to brew. Different from other liquors, it tastes sweet and mellow, if slightly sour.
Other specialties: Chongming Cake, saury, white goat meat.
How to get to Chongming Island from Shanghai?
1. Take line 1, and get off at Wenshui Road Station. Leave through Exit 4, and take bus Shenchong Line 1 or Shenchong Line 3 at Wenshuilu Gonghexinlu Station to the terminal station.
2. Take line 2, and get off at Shanghai Science and Technology Museum Station. Leave through Exit 6, and take bus Shenchong Line 2 at Shanghai Science and Technology Museum Metro Station to the terminal station.
3. Take line 6, and get off at Wuzhou Dadao Station. Leave through Exit 2, and take bus Shenchong Line 6 or Shenchong Line 6B at Wuzhou Dadao Metro Station to the terminal station.
Shanghai Bus / Metro Search
1. Take bus 51, 116b, 160, 508, 728, 952 or Baoshan Line 29 to Baoyang Port, and then take a ferry to either Nanmen Port or Baozhen Port.
2. Take bus 116b, 508, 719, 728, 952 or Baoshan Line 5 or 21 and get off at Songbinlu Mudanjianglu Station. Walk east to Wusong Port. And take a ferry to Nanmen Port, Baozhen Port, or Xinhe Port of the island.
3. Take a taxi to Shidongkou Port. Then take a ferry to either Nanmen Port or Xinhe Port of the Chongming Island.