Hangzhou is a city famous for its scenic splendor. Its pleasant environment endowed by nature and those who live here have formed the unique attractions for worldwide visitors to explore.
Whenever talking about this city, the West Lake can never be far from one's thoughts. Embraced by hilly peaks on three sides, this water wonderland has been one of the best-known Hangzhou attractions for centuries. The lake and its environs have all the elements of a traditional Chinese garden but on a grand scale, quite suitable for a half day or one day tour in Hangzhou.
If you have more time to travel in the city and want to see other attractions, the following scenic spots will be nice options. Lingyin Temple is one of the earliest Buddhist temples in China housing exquisite cultural relics from past dynasties. Xixi National Wetland Park offers a natural garden for a leisure walk or a boat ride. Running Tiger Spring is famed for its unique fountain of high water quality. Those who are interested in the traditional Chinese culture can travel to the China National Silk Museum, National Tea Museum, Museum of Traditional Chinese Medicine, and Southern Song Dynasty Official Kiln Museum.
Around the urban area, there are also some attractions for travelers to find. For example, Wuzhen is a well-preserved ancient town with traditional riverside folk residences, numerous bridges, and old workshops. Xitang is also a noted water town with thousands of years of history. Mogan Mountain has been listed as one of the Four Best Summer Resorts in China. Tiantai Mountain is known for being the cradle of the Tiantai Sect of Chinese Buddhism. Mt. Putuoshan is a sacred place for Buddhists and boasts the enchanting scenery as a sea island. Thousand Islets Lake is a pure lake dotted with lush islands.
Top 5 Hangzhou Attractions
- A must-go attraction in Hangzhou which has been inscribed as a UNESCO world cultural heritage.
- The scenic area features the lake as well as the surrounding mountains, historical relics, and three islands in the lake.
- The Ten Scenes at the West Lake is the highlights of the scenic area in the four seasons, among which the most famous are the Dawn on the Su Causeway in Spring, Winery Yard and Lotus Pool in Summer, Moon over the Peaceful Lake in Autumn, and Lingering Snow on the Broken Bridge in Winter.
- The sight of Three Pools Mirroring the Moon in the West Lake Scenic Area is printed on the back of 5 Yuan banknote of China.
- It has been honored as a land of fish and rice since ancient times and well maintains the appearance of an old water town filled up with houses made of grey tiles and white walls.
- The town is divided into Xizha, Dongzha, Nanzha and Beizha by the crisscross rivers. Xizha and Dongzha are the tourist areas while Nanzha and Beizha are the residential areas of locals.
- Either walking on the old street paved by blue flagstones or taking a boat sailing through the meandering river will make you feel very relaxed and peaceful.
- The folk performances, special local foods, and night scenes in Xizha should not be missed.
- Owning a history of about 1,700 years, it is the earliest Buddhist temple in Hangzhou and can be regarded as a treasury of Buddhist cultural relics.
- Hidden in mountains and forests, the temple enjoys a tranquil and serene environment, providing a retreat from the noisy urban area.
- At the Peak Flown From Afar in the scenic area, you can see over 340 Buddha grotto statues, which are rarely seen in southern China.
- The temple is very popular among Buddhist believers. On the 1st and 15th day of each lunar month, many come to the temple to burn incenses and pray for blessings.
- It is a large man-made lake which got its name after the over 1,000 islets in the lake.
- The central and southeastern areas are the core tourist areas with fixed visiting route linking important scenic spots.
- Cycling or self-driving around the lake is also a fun way to enjoy the scenery. Besides, in the north of the lake, there are many sites for exciting rafting, very suitable for adventurous tourists.
- If you come to the Thousand Islets Lake for the first time, do climb to the top of the Meifeng Island and overlook the small islets scattered on the lake.
- It is not only the first national wetland park in China, but also a natural oasis in urban Hangzhou with a network of rivers.
- Owing to the superb environment, it is a paradise for birds. Lots of pavilions have been built in the park for appreciating birds.
- As a gathering place for hermits in the past, Xixi National Wetland Parks owns many elegant ancient villas and gardens.
- The International Dragon Boat Race is held there annually on the Dragon Boat Festival.
2 Days Hangzhou Private Tour from $259
5 Days Hangzhou to Huangshan Tour from $929
Hot Hangzhou Attractions
More Attractions in Hangzhou
Special Recommendations: Attractions near Hangzhou
Recommended Routes to Visit Hangzhou Attractions
The West Lake is always on the list of Hangzhou top attractions. The whole sightseeing path circling the lake is about 15 km (9 mi) long. If you prefer to hike along the lake, it will take most of the day. Alternatively, it is an awesome option to cycle along the lake. On the way, you will encounter the following scenic spots successively: the Broken Bridge, Bai Causeway, Solitary Hill, Winery Yard and Lotus Pool, Su Causeway, Viewing Fish at Flower Pond, Leifeng Pagoda and the sight of Three Pools Mirroring the Moon. You can have a lunch at the Lou Wai Lou Restaurant near the Solitary Hill, which offers authentic Zhejiang cuisine. At night, do not forget to enjoy the music fountain show in the Third Park to the east of the lake at 19:00 or 20:00.
Day 2: Lingyin Temple & Peak Flown From Afar (3 hours) → Xixi National Wetland Park (6 hours)
Day 3: Qiantang River Bridge (1 hour) → Liuhe Pagoda (1 hour) → Song Dynasty Town (5 hours) → Romance of the Song Dynasty (1 hour)
Day 4: Wuzhen Water Town (a whole day)
Apart from visiting the best attractions in Hangzhou, enjoying the grand performance in Song Dynasty Town is what tourists usually do. The Romance of the Song Dynasty is a panoramic show inspired by historical stories and myths about Hangzhou, well worth seeing. A day tour to Wuzhen Water Town is also highly recommended if you plan to stay three or four days in Hangzhou. There are long-distance buses to the town, so you can go there very conveniently. In peak travel seasons, you can visit Xitang Water Town instead for less crowds.
Time permits, you can also depart from Hangzhou for the Thousand Islets Lake and stay there for two days. Then continue the trip to Huangshan Mountain by high speed train, which is about 180 km (110 mi) from the lake.
You May Like
2) How is the weather in Nov 18?
3) We are interested to visit some temples, market, shopping and visit west lakes, how many day is
enough to stay in HZ?
4)Any recommend of 3 star hotel for 3 person to stay easily access to tourist spot and food street?
5)Any problem of finding vegetarian food?
2. The temperature may be 10C to 20 C and it may be cloudy and rainy.
3. At least 3 days.
4. Hotel on the lakeside of Bailisha, HZ is located at No. 56, Dongpo Road, Shangcheng District and it’s near the West Lake.
5. There is a nice vegetarian restaurant located at No. 89, Jiefang road, Hubin street, Shangcheng district.