72-Hour Visa-Free Transit in China
|Transit Service Counter |
in Beijing Capital Airport
The 72-hour visa-free transit policy in China allows air passengers from 53 countries to transit and stay for up to 72 hours (3 days) in 18 China cities without a visa. In order to facilitate international visitors' short stay in China, the policy is promising to be carried out in more and more cities in the future.
24 Schengen Agreement Countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
15 Other European Countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), Albania, Belarus, Monaco
6 American Countries: the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile
2 Oceania Countries: Australia, New Zealand
6 Asian Countries: Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, Qatar
Cities Enjoying the Policy
Chongqing, Harbin, Xi'an, Guilin, Changsha
Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai, Shenyang, Dalian, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Shijiazhuang, Qinhuangdao, Chengdu, Wuhan, Xiamen, Qingdao, Kunming, the whole Guangdong Province - Extended to 144-hour Visa-free Transit
Areas Allowed to Stay
Cities only with the 72-hour free entry policy:
Passengers transiting in Changsha are allowed to travel in the whole province.
Passengers transiting in Chongqing, Harbin, or Guilin cannot leave the transit city.
Passengers transiting in Xi'an Xianyang Airport are permitted to travel in Xi'an and Xianyang.
Cities where the 72 hours scheme has been extended to 144-hour transit without visa (TWOV):
Passengers transiting in Shanghai, Zhejiang, or Jiangsu can move around the three places. With the implementation of the 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit Policy, they can actually stay for as long as 144 hours.
Passengers transiting in Guangdong can travel around the whole province.
Passengers transiting in Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei can also move around the three places freely for 144 hours.
Passengers stopping over in Dalian or Shenyang can travel in the whole of Liaoning Province.
Passengers transiting in Chengdu, Kunming, Wuhan or Xiamen cannot leave the transit city.
Passengers transiting in Qingdao are allowed to move freely within the whole Shandong Province for 144 hours.
Recommended Tours for Transit Passengers in Different Cities
To Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Great Wall…
To Terracotta Warriors, City Wall, Small Wild Googe Pagoda...
3 days private tour to Guilin, Longsheng and Yangshuo
Conditions for Application
1. The confirmed seat onward ticket and valid visa to a third country or region (if required) are needed for entry. Based on the latest information, the 72 hours starts from 00:00 the day following the entry date in almost all the airports, except Beijing Airport. For example, if an air passenger arrives in Guangzhou at 08:00 on June 2nd, then the latest time for him to leave is 23:59 on June 5. In this case, the actual stopover time is more than 72 hours. However, in Beijing, the 72 hours count from the scheduled arrival time of the flight. To play on the safe side, passengers are recommended to be more conservative and not to exceed the "strict 72 hours" which counts from the flights' scheduled arrival time to the departure time.
2. The flights can only stop in one Chinese city, meaning passengers have to enter and exit from the same city, except in cities where the 144-hour visa-free transit has been implemented. For instance, if a flight lands in Xi'an via Beijing, passengers are not able to enjoy the policy. In addition, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are regarded as a third region in terms of transit issues. If a flight passes USA – Beijing – Hong Kong/Macau/Taiwan, passengers are able to enjoy.
3. Only use flights to transfer in China. Passengers using other vehicles (including using flight for single trip) are not eligible to enjoy the policy.
4. Passengers are required to leave from the same airport that they arrive, except in some of the cities with 144-hour visa-free transit scheme where they may enter or leave from land or sea ports.
Documents for Application
Passport valid for at least 3 months from the date of entry. Actually there are cases that some passengers are denied at the immigration counter because the remaining validity of their passport is not more than 6 months, so it's better to keep your passport valid for at least 6 months to play safe.
Visa for a third country or region (if applicable)
A full completed Arrival/Departure Card (including name, nationality, passport no., visa no. & issuance place, flight no., purpose of visit, date of birth, gender)
An onward ticket with confirmed seat are needed
|Direction Boards for 72-hour Special Counter|
1. It is necessary to inform the airline at check-in, so that they can declare your request to the airport custom before landing. Passengers transiting via Beijing Capital International Airport can apply for this free transit permit after arrival.
2. There is a special counter/lane for the 72-hour free transit at the immigration, so passengers can go there directly by following the signs. For example, the immigration channels 2 to 4 are for 72-hour TWOV passengers in Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport.
3. After the request to enjoy the 72-hour China TWOV is approved, the officer will stamp a stay permit on your passport. The duration of stay is written on the passport. Remember to tell the officer that one wants to use the 72-hour free transit if he/she already has a valid visa for China.
4. After leaving the airport, remember to register at local police station within 24 hours of arrival if one wants to stay over 24 hours. Those who live with family or friends need to go to register in person at the police station with relatives or friends. Those who live in hotels do not need to go, because the hotels will do it for the guests.
5. If visitors are unable to depart on time due to unavoidable reasons, such as flight cancellation or treatment of sudden disease, they need to apply for a visa from Municipal Public Security Bureau (PSB). Otherwise, tourists cannot apply for an extension of stay.
Difference between 72-Hour Visa-Free Transit and 24-Hour Visa-Free Transit
Direct Transit within 24 hours is available for any nationality passenger and it is applicable to any vehicle, while the 72-hour Free Transit is only possible for passengers from designated countries and requires to transit in the airport.
Two pictures are helpful to make you clear.
Other Services for Free Transit
There are service centers for transit passengers in the terminals, offering rest places with drinking water and reading materials if they do not want to leave the airport. For visa-free transit passengers, the airports also provide services for currency exchange, mobile phone rental, car rental, left luggage, as well as local souvenir shops. Tour buses are available from the terminals for the convenience of tourists.
Read FAQ about 72-hour Visa-free Transit
In case that 1) you can't provide any of the required documents listed above, 2) or your flight route does not qualify, 3) or you have the record of overstaying in a country or getting visa refusal before, your application for the 72-hour visa-free transit permit may be refused. For fear of troubles caused by such cases, please make sure that you are eligible or apply for a regular transit visa in advance.
Do they get on arrival the 72 hours or ask for the 144 days. as leaving tomorrow hopefully you can reply in time.
- Arriving Beijing 10/5 at 2:20pm via United
- Departing from Tianjin 10/7 at 6pm via Royal Carribean
I booked a roundtrip ticket from the states into Beijing from 11/20 (4:35 PM) -12/2.
I plan to fly out of Beijing on Saturday 11/23 (5:55 AM) into Phuket. From Phuket to Singapore. Singapore to Bali. Then Bali back into Beijing- arriving Monday 12/1 at 4:30 AM. With my flight out of Beijing back to the states at 12:30 pm same day. Will this be acceptable without a VISA?
US - Beijing - Bali
Is eligible for 144 hour visa free transit and your second itinerary:
Bali - Beijing - US
Is eligible for 24 hour visa free transit since you will stay in Beijing for less than 24 hours.