Chongqing owns a large number of fabulous tourist attractions well suitable for a leisurely vacation. Renowned as the Mountain City, its landform is uneven and the buildings there distribute in an intriguing way, thus Chongqing is also known as a 3D Magic City of China. You can hardly find a place anywhere like Chongqing where you can see light rail traverses through a high rise. Sounds amazing? Well, it is time to set out for Chongqing to explore this magic city.
The most popular tourist attraction is undoubtedly the Hongya Cave, where you can appreciate the unique stilted houses along the riverside. The Jiefangbei CBD in the city center is where you can feel the stylish side of Chongqing. To know more about local people and food, Ci Qi Kou Ancient Town is recommended.
Of course, there are also terrific tourist attractions dotted in the environs of Chongqing. Dazu Rock Carvings located about 167 kilometers (104 miles) from Chongqing boasts numerous colorful Buddhist carvings which can rival the famous Mogao Caves. If travelling to Wulong, you will be marveled at the natural karst landscape taking the shape of huge bridges and giant caves.
Chongqing’s charm also lies in its cuisine culture. People there like eating hot and spicy food and are good at cooking. Chongqing noodles and hot pot are worth a try.
When travelling to Chongqing, it is nice to take the Two Rivers Night Cruise to enjoy the fascinating night piece of the city. Besides, you can start the Yangtze River Cruise from the Chaotianmen Dock in Chongqing to travel along the Three Gorges and finally reach Yichang in Hubei Province.
Top 5 Chongqing Attractions
- An architecture complex built along the mountain cliff and the bank of Jialing River, known as the magic town shown in the film “Spirited Away” in real life.
- You can see the 11-storey stilted houses owning a history of more than 2,000 years.
- It is the place where you can stroll along the old streets of this mountain city, admire the scenery surrounding the Jialing River, taste delicious snacks, kill time in pubs and bars, and enjoy the singing of buskers.
- The night piece of Hongya Cave is so impressive, making it a must-go attraction in Chongqing.
- The People’s Liberation Monument on the center of Jiefangbei CBD is one of the best landmarks in Chongqing.
- The most prosperous shopping pedestrian streets are all nearby, where you can see a variety of local folk products.
- You have a chance to savor all kinds of Chongqing snacks on the nearby Bayi Food Street.
- When night falls on, many of the locals spend their nightlife there so that the place becomes very bustling.
- Ci Qi Kou Ancient Town, which used to be a busy trading port, well preserves the old houses and folk customs of Chongqing.
- The thousand-year-old Baolun Temple in the town is said to be the place that Emperor Jianwen in the Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644) spent his last years.
- Walking into a tea house, you can enjoy the characteristic Sichuan Opera and performances while sipping the tea.
- There are many stores selling original gadgets and famous local snacks such as the Chen’s Fried Dough Twist and glutinous rice cakes.
- It refers to the rock carvings in Dazu District, 167 kilometers (about 104 miles) from downtown Chongqing.
- It is a UNESCO World Culture Heritage.
- There are more than 70 sites, housing as many as 50,000 Buddhist carvings. Among them, Beishan and Baodingshan Rock Carvings are the best, representing the superb stone carving art in Tang and Song dynasties.
- Many of the stone carvings vividly depict attractive Buddhist stories. If you want to know more, it is advised to hire a tour guide.
- It is known for being the setting of the movie Transformers 4.
- By visiting the magnificent karst landscape taking the shape of natural big bridges, large caves, and giant ground cracks, you will be awed by nature.
- In Furong Cave, you can see beautiful stalactites decorated by colorful lights, very much alike the Dragon Palace in Chinese legends.
- In the evening, you can enjoy the performance “Impression Wulong” to better take in the splendid natural scenery and unique folk customs in Chongqing and Sichuan.
Chongqing Wulong Day Tour from $187
3 Days Chongqing City Tour Package with Dazu from $369
6 Days Chongqing - Chengdu - Leshan - Mt. Emei from $909
14 Days Beijing - Xi'an - Guilin - Chongqing - Yangtze Cruise - Shanghai from $2420
Hot Chongqing Attractions
More Attractions in Chongqing
Special Recommendations: Attractions near Chongqing
Recommended Routes to Visit Chongqing Attractions
In the morning, you can head for the Ciqikou Ancient Town first, when there are less tourists. It is a nice place to learn about the culture of Chongqing and form an overall impression of this city. Taking the Yangtze River Cableway is also a popular way to have fun in Chongqing. You will have a bird’s eye view of the city while flying over the Yangyze River. In the afternoon, you can take a stroll around Jiefangbei CBD and enjoy some snacks on the nearby Bayi Food Street. When the night falls on, go to the Hongya Cave to appreciate the stunning night scene. Last, enjoy the Chaotianmen Night cruise to finish your one day trip.
Day 2: Wulong Karst National Geology Park (one day)
Day 3: Dazu Rock Carvings (one day)
After one day tour in Chongqing, you can extend your trip to its environs. It is advised to spare one or two days for Wulong Karst National Geology Park, where you will see the Fairy Mountain, Furong Cave, and Three Natural Bridges, etc. If you stay overnight in Wulong, do not miss the awesome performance “Impression Wulong”. You will never regret! As there is no direct bus from Wulong to Dazu, in case you want to visit Dazu Rock Carvings, you need to return to Chongqing first and then take a bus to Dazu.
Day 2 – Day 4: Yangtze River Cruise
Taking this route, you will have a quick tour in Chongqing and then relax on the Yangtze River Cruise, which sails by the famous Three Gorges of China and finally arrives in Yichang.
You May Like
I have been informed that the street is closed for renovation. Will it be open in the first week of November 2019?