Being the most significant archeological excavations of the 20th century and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Terracotta Army is no doubt a must-see for every visitor to Xi'an.
Originally the ancient funerary project for Emperor Qin Shi Huang, the Terracotta Warriors China are now displayed in a live museum built on the site, officially named Emperor Qinshihuang's Mausoleum Site Museum, showing the life stories of the emperor and the once powerful Qin Empire (221 – 207BC) in those days of pomp and vigor.
Terracotta Army Facts
History – over 2,200 years
Chronicle – 246 BC to today
Discovery – by local farmers, in 1974How did the Terracotta Army get burnt and destroyed? Why was there little record about Terracotta Warriors in history?
Terracotta Army Visitor Guide
You May Like
What to See
1. Museum of Qin Terracotta Warriors and Horses
Insider's Suggestion: MUST-SEE, 2 to 4 hours
It contains 3 major pits tagged in the order of their discoveries and the Bronze Chariots and Horses Exhibition Hall.
Pit 1: the largest; found in 1974 and opened to the public on Oct. 1st, 1979. There is the vanguard in three rows followed by a massive battle array of infantry and war chariots.
Pit 2: found in 1976; 20 meters northeast of No. 1 Pit. It is the most spectacular one for the variety of divisions including infantry, crossbow team, cavalry, and 80 chariots.
Pit 3: found in 1976; 25 meters northwest of No. 1 Pit. It was the command post of the armed forces, with 68 warriors and a chariot led by four horses.
2. Qin Shi Huang's Mausoleum Site Park (Lishan Garden)
Insider's Suggestion: extra 2 hours, for slow paced travelers, in-depth visit
Pit K0007 – Bronze Aquatic Birds (not open yet)
Pit K9801 – Stone Armor and Helmets (not open yet)
Currently, there are no direct public transport means to Terracotta Army from downtown Xi'an. Therefore, the best option is to join a Xi'an day tour involving this site with attracting service and price.
If you wish to travel independently, please follow the following instructions:
1. Take metro line 1 to Fangzhicheng, transfer to metro line 9 and get off at Qinling West Station. Then take the shuttle bus 617, which operates between 6:30 and 20:30 to the museum. Passengers can also get off at Huaqing Pool Station on metro line 9, and then take Lintong Bus 602 to the Terracotta Army.
2. Take metro line 1 to the terminal stop Fangzhicheng, then take the tourist bus 5 (306) from a roadside bus stop 25-30 meters north to the nearby Fangzhicheng Bus Station, which operate between 7:00 and 19:00, at the fare of CNY 5. It will take you to the Terracotta Warriors Museum.
3. Bus 307 runs from Tangchengqiang Jiuqu Bus Hub to the museum in 1.5 hours and costs CNY 8 per person, passing by Tang Paradise, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Banpo Museum Bus Hub, and Huaqing Pool.
4. A taxi from downtown Xi'an to the museum takes 40-50 minutes and costs about CNY 150.
How to get to Terracotta Warriors from Xi'an Airport
1. Take airport shuttle bus Lintong Line to Xi'an University Science and Technology in one hour, and then take Lintong Bus 602, tourist bus line 5 (306) or 914 to the museum in 30 minutes.
2. Take airport metro line to Beikezhan (Xi'an North Railway Station), change to line 4 to Wulukou, then change to line 1 to Fangzhicheng, and last take metro line 9 to Huaqing Pool, where you can take Lintong Bus 602 to Terracotta Army.
3. A taxi from Xi'an Airport to Terracotta Army takes 70 minutes and costs about CNY 200.
How to get to Terracotta Warriors from Xi'an North Railway Station
1. Take metro line 2 to Beidajie, then change to line 1 to Fangzhicheng, next change to line 9 and get off at Huaqing Pool. Finally take Lintong Bus 602 to get there.
2. Taxi: 1 hour; about CNY 160.
About the Master of Terracotta Army China - Qin Shi Huang
Upon ascending the throne at the age of 13, Emperor Qin Shi Huang had begun to prepare for his mausoleum. Taking 11 years to finish, the mausoleum is speculated to house many treasures and sacrificial objects. The most amazing masterpiece should be the Terracotta soldiers guarding the emperor in his life after death.
Military Formation Weaponry
Features of Statues
Stallions or mares are the war horses?
4 Sites of Terracotta Warriors besides Xi’an Terracotta Army
Ancient Greek Art Inspired China's Terracotta Army? Impossible!
Terracotta Army Boosted the Rise of Modern Europe
Top 10 Things to Do in Xi'an
Top 10 China Tourist Places for Culture Lovers
Top 10 China Tourist Attractions List
2) Are both in the same location?
After arriving, take tourist bus no.5 (306) to the destination.
2. Bus or taxi to Xi'an North Railway station in the afternoon.
2. You can take bus 307 to Fangzhicheng station, then transfer to metro line 1 to Beidajie station, and take metro line 2 to the final station. It takes around 2.5 hours.