Xian Railway Station
Located to the north of the City Wall, Xian Railway Station is 2 miles (3.5 kilometers) from the Bell Tower (city center), 9 miles (15 kilometers) from North Railway Station and 16 miles (26 kilometers) from Xianyang International Airport. It is one of the four biggest train stations in China in terms of passenger volume, and one of the country’s six main rail terminals.
Address: No. 44 of North Huancheng Road in the Xincheng District
Xian Railway Station See-off Service
Schedule and Ticket Booking
Major Rail Lines from the station to:
(Last Update on June 14th, 2017)
See detailed Xian Train Schedule
1F: entrance & exit, waiting rooms, platforms, ticket offices, left luggage, restaurants…
2F: waiting rooms, food stands…
An expansion of the station is currently ongoing, and will be completed by 2019. The expansion is north of the present station. The new station will have waiting rooms, platforms, rails, and a square. In the mean time, the present station will be connected with subway line 4, which is also under construction. After the expansion, this station will only operate ordinary speed trains while the North Station will deal with all bullet types.
How to get to Xian Railway Station from downtown?
At station west: 6, 39, 205, 206, 214, 229, 266, 608 or 616
At station east: 16, 20, 28, 46, 104, 228, 243, 309, 507, 517, 519, 703, 706, 707, 718, 719, 903, 912 or 931
At station south: 5, 9, 13, 14, 17, 25, 30, 40, 41, 42, 103, 105, 201, 231, 240, 243, 251, 258, 351, 500, 511, 602, 603, 607, 611 or 703
At East Square of the station: Tourist Bus Lines 1, 2, 3 and 5; 914; 915; Tongchuan Line, Lantian Line
On getting off the bus, the station is easily identified by its Tang-dynasty style, the large red Chinese characters, and continuous passenger flow. After, one will see a large LED screen; read it carefully to find out your waiting room, and then go there for waiting. For those without a paper ticket, go to the ticket offices located either to east or west of the entrance to obtain one first, and then enter the terminal building for waiting.
|Map of Transportation outside the Station|
Arrival by subway line 1:
Passengers should get off at Wulukou Station, leave from Exit D and then walk northwards for about 700 yards to reach the station.
Arrival by airport shuttle bus line 2:
The bus drops passengers off to the southeast of the station square, in front of the Longhai Hotel.
Arrival by tourist bus no. 1, 2, 3, 5; Tongchuan Line; Lantian Line:
The buses drop passengers off at the East Square of the station. Upon arrival, one can easily find the terminal by the two red Chinese characters.
Arrival by taxi:
It takes about 10 minutes and costs CNY 10 from the Bell Tower.
It takes about 30 minutes and costs CNY 40 from the North Railway Station.
It takes about 40 minutes and costs CNY 120 from the airport.
Taxis are not allowed to drive very closely to the station entrance; hence the drivers usually drop passengers by the roadside somewhere close to the terminal building. But there is no need to worry; one can easily find the station entrance following the passenger flow.
Ticket Check and Boarding
After reaching the platform, find your carriage according to your ticket. Mind the steps when getting on board, as the carriages are higher than the platform. After, put your luggage on the luggage rack or under the berth/seat. Settle down and wait for departure.
Keep your ticket secure as it will be checked at the exit upon arrival at the destination.
How to exit and leave Xian Railway Station?
Leave by bus:
There are several bus stops to east, west and south of the station building. Please confirm which bus you are going to take and then find its boarding points accordingly.
Leave by subway:
The subway station (Wulukou) is about 700 yards south of the station. One needs to walk under through the City Wall and then along the north-south direction road in front of the station to get there.
Leave by airport shuttle bus:
The boarding point is to the southeast of the station square, in front of the Long Hai Hotel.
Leave by tourist bus:
The buses depart from East Square of the station . When you find a long queue with staff in uniforms keeping order, you probably found it.
Please be aware of the private bus touts at the station exits or around the station who offer bus rides to nearby attraction sites especially Terracotta Warriors and Huaqing Hot Springs; their buses are smaller than tourism buses and may charge higher.
Leave by taxi:
Taxi stand is located to the southwest of the exit on the station square, much closer than bus stops.
1. It is suggested that you should take taxis only from the taxi stand, since some taxis out of the stand are illegal. Some drivers are importunate to invite passengers to take their taxis. In this situation, you’d better do not take their taxis in case of being ripped off.
2. Whether you are going to take a taxi, you should ask the driver to charge according to the meter before getting on. Otherwise, you can refuse to take it and change to another one. Because the fare asked for is always much higher than the actual (meter) price and this situation often happens to foreign passengers.
3. Most taxi drivers want passengers to pay them with change and they won’t expect any tip. It is advisable to keep the taxi receipt on which the supervisor's telephone and the taxi number are recorded in case of an unexpected accident or deception.
4. Never take the autobike or tricycle at the station. They are illegal and unsafe. You may also be overcharged by them.
Transportation to other places from the station:
To Bell Tower:
1. Take bus 6, 16, 205, 251, 603, 608, 616, Tourist Bus Line 7, or Tourist Bus Line 8 to get there directly;
2. Take subway line 1 to North Street, change to line 2 to Bell Tower.
Note: From Bell Tower, one can reach Drum Tower, Great Mosque, and Muslim Quarter within minutes' walking.
To City Wall:
1. Take bus 6, 40, 229, 239, 603, 616, 608, 16, 46, 213, Tourist Bus Line 6, or Tourist Bus Line 7 to South Gate, which is one of the most popular gates to ascend the wall.
2. Take bus 9, 104, 507, 511, 519, 703, 705, 712, 718, 912 or Tourist Bus Line 10 to North Gate, which is the closest gate to ascend the wall.
To Big Wild Goose Pagoda:
Take bus 5, 30, 41, 500, Tourist Bus Line 6, or Tourist Bus Line 8 to get there directly.
To Terracotta Warriors:
|Tourist Buses Line 5 on East Square|
Visitors to Huaqing Hot Springs can also take Tourist Bus Line 5 (306), which has a stop there. Ticket fare to the site is CNY 6 and duration is about 45 minutes.
To Mt. Huashan:
1. Tourist Bus Line 1 can send passengers to the mountain foot directly. It departs at 08:00 daily from April to December. Ticket fare is CNY 22 and duration is about 3 hours.
2. Take an ordinary train from this station to Huashan Railway Station, which takes about 1.5 hours and CNY 20 for a hard seat; there are about 25 departures per day from 08:48 to 22:53. Upon arrival, change to a local tourism bus to mountain foot, which takes CNY 3 and 20 minutes.
3. Go to North Railway Station to take a bullet train to Huashan North Station, which takes about half an hour and CNY 54.5 for a second class seat. There are 13 departures per day from 07:53 to 21:03. Upon arrival, there are green free buses shuttling between the station exit and mountain foot.
To Famen Temple:
Tourism Bus Line 2 can take visitors there directly. It leaves from the East Square at 08:00. Duration is about 1.5-2 hours and ticket fare is CNY25.
To North Railway Station:
1. Take bus 266 to get there directly;
2. Take subway line 1 to North Street, and then change to line 2 to get there.
To Xianyang International Airport:
Take airport shuttle bus line 2 to the southeast of the station square. The bus departs from 06:00 to 21:00 with an interval of about 30 minutes. Duration is about 60 minutes and ticket fare is CNY26.
Bus/ Subway Search
Facilities and Services of the Station
There are all together twelve waiting rooms on both floors. Two escalators take you to the second floor. All waiting rooms are equipped with toilets, drinkable boiled water, shops, and newsstands. A special waiting room for mothers and infants is on the second floor, and it provides great convenience for those who make a train travel with kids or during pregnancy.
There are also two leisure waiting rooms in which the seats are comfortable and passengers can board ahead of the scheduled check-in time, but a service fee of CNY 10 per person is charged. A soft seat/sleeper waiting room is at the northeast corner of the second floor, and only passengers holding soft seat/sleeper tickets are permitted to enter.
The station has two ticket offices, once located to east of entrance (No.1 Ticket Office) and the other to west of the entrance (No.2 Ticket Office). Passengers can purchase, collect, change or refund the ticket at either of them. In the western and eastern squares, there are also two movable ticket booths and ticket counters for ticket selling. Foreign passengers are required to provide their valid certificate like passports when purchasing or collecting tickets.
There are a number of left luggage spots. However, considering security, you are advised to deposit the luggage at the left luggage office 11 yards (10 meters) west of the station exit or the one near the ticket office. The left luggage counters provide a 24/7 service, charging CNY 5 for small bags less than 10 kilograms and CNY 10 for large luggage over 10 kilograms per day, and there is no time limit.
In the central area of the square, free WIFI (name: WIFIXIAN-火车站) without password is available, which is convenient for passengers to get more useful local travel information.
Hotels such as Grand Soluxe International Hotel, Fuhou Hotel and Longhai Hotel are located around the station are excellent choices. Both around and inside the station, there are also many restaurants, food stands, supermarkets, and souvenir stores for passengers’ convenience; but the price there are mostly higher than other places.