Being the most significant archeological excavations of the 20th century and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Terracotta Army is no doubt a must-see for every visitor to Xi'an.
Originally the ancient funerary project for Emperor Qin Shi Huang, it is now a live museum, officially named Emperor Qinshihuang's Mausoleum Site Museum, showing the life stories of the emperor and the once powerful Qin Empire (221 – 207BC) in those days of pomp and vigor.
Terracotta Army Facts
History – over 2,200 years
Chronicle – 246 BC to today
Discovery – by local famers, in 1974
Terracotta Army Visitor Guide
Xi'an 1-Day Terracotta Warrior Tours from $59
3-Day Private Xi'an Tour
8-Day Beijing / Xi'an / Shanghai Small Group Tour from $889
How to Tour the Terracotta Army – Day tour plan for independent travelers
What to See
1. Museum of Qin Terracotta Warriors and Horses
Insider's Suggestion: MUST-SEE, 2 to 4 hours
It contains 3 major pits tagged in the order of their discoveries and the Bronze Chariots and Horses Exhibition Hall.
Pit 1: the largest; found in 1974 and opened to the public on Oct. 1st, 1979. There is the vanguard in three rows followed by a massive battle array of infantry and war chariots.
Pit 2: found in 1976; 20 meters northeast of No. 1 Pit. It is the most spectacular one for the variety of divisions including infantry, crossbow team, cavalry, and 80 chariots.
Pit 3: found in 1976; 25 meters northwest of No. 1 Pit. It was the command post of the armed forces, with 68 warriors and a chariot led by four horses.
2. Qin Shi Huang's Mausoleum Site Park (Lishan Garden)
Insider's Suggestion: extra 2 hours, for slow paced travelers, in-depth visit
Pit K0007 – Bronze Aquatic Birds (not open yet)
Pit K9801 – Stone Armor and Helmets (not open yet)
1. The tourist bus line 5 (306) runs from the east square of Xi'an Railway Station to Terracotta Warriors Museum in one hour, costing CNY 7 per person.
2. Bus 307 runs from Tang City Wall Zone 9 Bus Station to the museum in 1.5 hours and costs CNY 8 per person, passing by Tang Paradise, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Banpo Museum Bus Hub, and Huaqing Pool.
3. A taxi from downtown Xi'an to the museum takes 40-50 minutes and costs about CNY 150.
How to get to Terracotta Warriors from Xi'an Airport
1. Take airport shuttle bus to Xi'an Railway Station in one hour, and then take tourist bus line 5 (306) to the museum in another one hour.
2. Take airport shuttle bus to Lintong in one hour, and then take bus Lintong 101 to the museum in 20 minutes.
3. A taxi from Xi'an Airport to Terracotta Army takes 70 minutes and costs about CNY 200.
How to get to Terracotta Warriors from Xi'an North Railway Station
1. Free shuttle buses run between North Railway Station and the museum. A single journey takes one hour.
2. Taxi: 1 hour; about CNY 160.
|Ticket Price|| |
|Audio Guide||Rent: CNY 40 per person; Deposit: CNY 100|
|Opening Hours||March 16 to November 15: 8:30 - 18:00, ticketing stops at 17:00; |
November 16 to March 15: 8:30 - 17:30, ticketing stops at 16:30.
|Time for a Visit||3 hours|
About the Master of Terracotta Army - Qin Shi Huang
Upon ascending the throne at the age of 13, Emperor Qin Shi Huang had begun to prepare for his mausoleum. Taking 11 years to finish, the mausoleum is speculated to house many treasures and sacrificial objects. The most amazing masterpiece should be the Terracotta Army guarding the emperor in his life after death.
Military Formation Weaponry
Features of Statues
Top 10 Things to Do in Xi'an