How to Take Shanghai Metro
1. Entering the Station
2. Buying Metro Tickets
After entering the station, you can follow the guide signs to find the ticket office. You should decide what kind of ticket you want to buy - single journey ticket, Shanghai-Public-Transportation-Card-paid ticket or souvenir ticket. Ticket prices vary from CNY 2 to CNY 9 according to the mileage between your starting station and destination.
There are two ways to buy tickets:
First, you can buy tickets in the ticket booth after looking up the fare on the station's signboard or asking the ticket issuing clerk for the fare.
Secondly, you can do self-service ticketing at a multifunctional ticket machine. Here offers the method for using the machine: Click the number of the subway line you want to take on the screen and click your destination station. The machine then shows you the single trip price. Please click the number of the tickets you want (no more than 9 at a time) and then the total price appears on the screen. Now you need to put a certain sum of notes or coins according to the total price into the slot on the machine. Well, you can take the change and tickets and go for the next step.
3. Entering the Turnstile
With the ticket and follow the guide signs you can go to the turnstiles at the entrance to the platform. Each of the turnstiles has two indicator lights. You can use the turnstile when its green light is on. However, a turnstile is temporarily out of service when its red light is on.
'Right Hand Principle' is adopted when entering the turnstile. Please hold your ticket in the right hand and hold it slightly above the round intelligent card reader on the panel of the turnstile controller on your right. After a few seconds of inspection and validation, the screen on the panel of the controller will show the value of the ticket (except the souvenir ticket, which will have 'please go' in Chinese on the screen) and then you can get through the turnstile.
4. Waiting for the Train
5. Getting on the Train
6. Getting off the Train
7. Exiting the Turnstile
|Step7: Exiting the Turnstile|
Shanghai Public Transportation Card users can do as you enter the turnstile in your starting station - hold the card over the round card reader on the turnstile controller and then the screen on the panel of the controller will show the balance of your card. You can get out then.
Passenger who holds a single journey ticket should insert the ticket into the slot on the turnstile controller and exit the turnstile then.
If you hold a souvenir ticket, please insert the ticket just as the single journey ticket users do. However, the ticket will be returned to you after inspection. You can take it on the top of the controller and exit the turnstile.
8. Exiting the Station
Now you need to choose an exit that leads to your destination. With the help of the guide signs you can easily get out.
2. Metro Line Transfer: If you plan to make a transfer at a station, please do not exit the turnstile after you get off the first train. You can pass through a special passage leading to the platform for trains on the next line you plan to take.
3. Time Limit: The whole trip should be finished within three hours due to the validity period of the ticket.
4. Safety: The importance of safety can not be overemphasized. Remember to stand within the safety line and be watchful of the train doors when they open or close. Please note that there is a drop of 10 cm. from the trains to the platforms of Line 6 and 8.
5. Children: One adult passenger can take one child shorter than 1.2 meters (3.9 feet) who can enjoy free metro service.
6. Luggage: One passenger's luggage should be lighter than 20 kilograms (44 pounds) and smaller than 0.15 cubic meters (5.3 cubic feet). The total of the length, width and height of one's luggage should be within 1.8 meters (5.9 feet).
7. Metro Service: You can ask the staff for help when you have inquiries or problems.